Wednesday, 12 October 2011
Upcoming events in Europe
I'll be in Europe for most of the rest of this month representing the Identity Project in a series of public events and private meetings with European Union and European national officials on PNR data (airline reservations), privacy, data protection, and human rights, and representing the National Writers Union at the annual general conference of the International Federation of Reproduction Rights Organizations (IFRRO).
Here are the major events on my agenda as of now. Check my schedule page for updates, or contact me for more information about private meetings with officials and briefings for journalists. Almost all of the presentations at these events will be in English, although much of the publicity is (naturally, given the venues) in German:
- Monday, 17 October 2011, 19:00 (Brussels, Belgium): Public workshop on PNR data (airline reservations) and the proposed EU-USA agreement on US government access to PNR data from the EU, at the office of the European Digital Rights initiative (EDRi), Rue Montoyer 39, 8th floor. I'll be in Brussels Sunday-Wednesday, 16-19 October 2011. Contact me if you are interested in arranging a meeting during those dates.
- Wednesday, 19 October 2011, 11:00-13:00 (Brussels, Belgium): Workshop hosted by MEP Eva Lichtenberger on PNR data and Computerized Reservation Systems (CRSs) as an example of "cloud services". Room A5E1, Altiero Spinelli Building (ASP), European Parliament.
- Thursday, 20 October 2011, 19:30 (Berlin, Germany): "Wer mit wem schlief: Was Fluggastdaten uber dich verraten." Public Workshop/Datenschutzbier on how PNR data is processed and used in the USA. At c-base, Rungestrasse 20, Berlin.
- Saturday, 22 October 2011, 12:00 noon (Vienna, Austria): Public workshop on PNR data and how it is used by governments, with Edward Hasbrouck, Andreas Krisch of Vibe!at, and Alexander Sander of NoPNR.org. Garnisongasse 22, 1090 Wien (Burgerburo Martin Ehrenhauser).
- Monday-Friday, 24-28 October 2011 (Ljubljana, Slovenia): Delegate representing the National Writers Union (USA) at the world congress and annual general meeting of the International Federation of Reproduction Rights Organisations (IFRRO).
References and links:
Slides from my presentations in Brussels, Berlin, and Vienna, with more examples of PNR data and linked Automated Targeting System (ATS) records obtained from DHS. (PDF for printing, or OpenOffice source for easier translation. If you translate these into any other languages, please send me the URL so I can make the translation available to others.)
How to request your own PNR data and other travel records from the DHS and travel companies, with templates for requests. (DHS only accepts requests in English. The requests to travel companies are in 3 versions: (1) travel agency or tour operator, (2) airline, (3) CRS. All three of these templates are written in English with reference to UK law, so they will need to be adapted to reference local laws, and may need to be translated, for use in other countries.)
News reports (more here) from my European workshops and interviews:
- Matthias Monroy, Heise.de: US-Reiseverbote Made in Germany (17 October 2011)
- Barbara Wimmer, Futurezone.at: Fluggastdaten - EU: Ausschuss stimmt fur PNR-Abkommen (18 October 2011)
- Andy Carling, New Europe: Air-travel data puts Europeans at risk of identity theft (19 October 2011)
- Interview with Patrick Beuth, Zeit Online / Datenschutz: Flugpassagierdaten: "Das PNR-Abkommen mit den USA soll Unrecht legalisieren" (21 October 2011)
- Barbara Wimmer, Futurezone.at: Fluggastdaten: "Sie durfen nicht mitfliegen" (23 October 2011)
- Austrian Independent: US activist issues final PNR warning (25 October 2011)
- Erich Moechel, FM4.ORF.at: Flugdaten-Abkommen als "Schuss ins Knie" (27 October 2011)
- Barbara Wimmer, Futurezone.at: PNR: EU-Parlament stimmt fur Fluggastdatenabkommen (27 October 2011)
- Barbara Wimmer, Futurezone.at: Wirbel um Fluggastdaten-Abkommen mit den USA (November 11, 2011)
- Matthias Monroy, Heise.de: Passagierdaten-Krimi (14 November 2011)
- Valentina Pop, EU Observer: Privacy campaigner: EU-US passenger data deal 'meaningless' (November 18, 2011)
- Stefan Krempl, Heise.de: Scharfe Kritik am geplanten neuen Fluggastdaten-Transfer in die USA (19 November 2011)
- Erich Moechel, FM4.ORF.at: Flugdatenabkommen ist ausverhandelt (27 November 2011)
- Laurent Checola, LeMonde.fr: Les boîtes noires de l'accord sur les données passagers (19 April 2012)
- Brussels: European Digital Rights initiative (EDRi.org): European action week on airline passenger surveillance (19 October 2011)
- Berlin: Aktion-FreiheitStattAngst.org ("Freedom Not Fear"): Wer mit wem schlief - Was Fluggastdaten verraten: Der rechtsfreie Raum liegt nicht im Internet sondern in der Luft (21 October 2011)
- Vienna: Vibe!at: "Passenger Name Records sind das Guantanamo fur Reisen" (22 October 2011)
- Vienna: Gulli.com: Rootkit-Zugriff der US-Behorden auf alle Fluggastdaten der EU? (24 October 2011)
- Graz (Austria): Video of comments by Michael Bauer at the Elevate Festival (October 24, 2011)