Friday, 28 November 2003

EU to require passports for pets

Travelling with pets: Pet passports to be introduced in July 2004

The European Commission today adopted a Decision establishing a model passport which will allow pets and their owners to travel more easily within the European Union. New EU legislation comes into force in July 2004 which will mean all cats, dogs and ferrets will need a passport to travel….

David Byrne, the EU Health and Consumer Protection Commissioner said: “This is great news for pet owners like myself…. This is a significant step for the free movement of people and their pets.”….

Why do pets need passports?

…From 3 July 2004 the Regulation will require cats, dogs and ferrets to have a pet passport….

What will the passport look like?

The pet passport will measure 100 × 152 mm with a blue cover and the yellow stars of the European emblem. The languages used will be English and the official language of the Member State where the passport is issued. The words ?European Union? and the name of the Member State will appear on the cover, along with the passport number which is the ISO code of the Member State followed by a unique number. This number corresponds to the pet’s identification microchip or tattoo.

I haven’t been able to figure out why this requirment will apply only to “cats, dogs, and ferrets”, or what happens if the pet doesn’t have a “microchip or tattoo”.

Link | Posted by Edward on Friday, 28 November 2003, 08:31 ( 8:31 AM)

To start, I would like to wish you my best wishes for the year 2004.
My reason for this e-mail is that I am trying to purchase a vaccine passport for my Chihuahua so she may travel with less problems. Would you know where I could get one. I live in the USA at this time but we have plans to travel during the summer with her. I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you


PS: Manouchka is 12 years old, has a homeagain chip and is fully vaccinated every year since she was a puppy.
Thank you again

Posted by: Katy, 31 December 2003, 11:32 (11:32 AM)

The pet passport will (initially, starting from July 2004) be only for travel within the EU, so it won't be available for visitors from the USA or elsewhere outside the EU. The "regulations": and "related documents": are available on the EU Web site.

If you will be visiting from outside the EU with a pet, or taking a live anaimal across any international border, you should check with the embassy or consulate of each country you want to enter for their requirements.

Posted by: Edward, 4 January 2004, 10:45 (10:45 AM)

Not sure why ferrets are included but the tattoo and/or Microchip are for identification purposes.

Posted by: Ian, 16 April 2004, 06:42 ( 6:42 AM)

What do we have to do to get a EU Passport
for our dog in the United State, we are flying into Germany and then we travel to Italy, France
and Switzerland.we are leaving on Sept.7.2008,
we have all of her medical Papers, except the
Internationl Helthcertificat which we will have
when we fly.
Thank you

Posted by: Heidi, 24 August 2008, 14:45 ( 2:45 PM)
Post a comment

Save personal info as cookie?

Bio | Blog | Blogroll | Books | Contact | Disclosures | Events | FAQs & Explainers | Home | Newsletter | Privacy | Resisters.Info | Search | Sitemap | The Amazing Race | The Identity Project | Travel Privacy & Human Rights | Twitter

"Don't believe anything just because you read it on the Internet. Anyone can say anything on the Internet, and they do. The Internet is the most effective medium in history for the rapid global propagation of rumor, myth, and false information." (From The Practical Nomad Guide to the Online Travel Marketplace, 2001)
RSS 2.0 feed of this blog
RSS 2.0 feed of this blog
RSS 1.0 feed of this blog
Powered by
Movable Type Open Source
Movable Type Open Source 5.2.13

Pegasus Mail
Pegasus Mail by David Harris