Thursday, 25 April 2019
My testimony to the National Commission on Military Service
I've been invited to testify as part of a panel of expert witnesses at a hearing on the the military draft and the Selective Service System, including whether draft registration should be ended entirely or extended to women as well as men, on Thursday morning, 25 April 2019, before the National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service in Washington, DC.
These hearings are the most important public discussion of the issue of military conscription in the USA in more than 30 years. So far as I know, the last time a draft resister was invited to tell the Federal government what they thought should be done about the Selective Service System was in 1972 when David Harris was invited to testify before a Senate committee considering an amnesty for some (but not all) draft law violators, an event he described in his book, Our War.
Read on for links to my testimony and more about these hearings.
There will be four panels of invited witnesses over the two days of hearings on Wednesday and Thursday, April 24-25. I'm on the panel for the morning session of testimony and questioning by the members of the Commission from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday, April 25th. The hearings are being held in the Peikoff Alumni House at Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., but they have no particular relationship to Gallaudet and I haven't heard that anyone affiliated in any way with Gallaudet has been invited to testify.
Some time will be available for testimony by members of the public following the prepared statements and questioning of each panel. If you want to testify, be sure to arrive before the start of the session and ask for a ticket to testify at the check-in table when you arrive.
- My written submissions to the NCMNPS:
- Written testimony for formal hearings (25 April 2019)
- Response to request for public comments (19 April 2018)
- Op-Ed from the San Francisco Chronicle: Dump draft registration, don't extend it to women
- Hell, no! We still won't go! War Resisters League calls for renewed resistance to conscription and militarism
- Audio archives of my statements at NCMNPS public events:
- Radio interviews and podcasts about the draft and draft registration:
- Hearing notices and info from the NCMNPS:
- Livestream on Facebook (C-SPAN may also cover the hearings, but will only confirm at the last minute)
- Hearing announcement and witness list (witness list to be announced by April 18th)
- Register to attend the hearing (free and optional)
- Federal Register notice and hearing schedule
- NCMNPS staff memo: Readiness of Selective Service and structure of a future national mobilization
- NCMNPS staff memo: Expanding Selective Service registration to all Americans
- Dr. Mark Coppenger, Professor of Christian Philosophy and Ethics, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Ms. Jude Eden, U.S. Marine Corps Iraq veteran and freelance journalist
- Mr. Edward Hasbrouck, Editor and publisher, Resisters.info
- Ms. Ashley McGuire, Senior Fellow, The Catholic Association
- Ms. Diane Randall, Executive Secretary, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Agendas and panelists for other hearings on April 24-25
- Additional written submissions to the NCMNPS:
- More about the NCMNPS and these hearings from my Web site, Resisters.info:
- Leaflet about this hearing: What's happening with women and Selective Service registration?
- Women, the draft, and draft registration
- FAQ: Federal court declares current military draft registration requirement unconstitutional
- About the National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service
- Records released by the NCMNPS in response to my FOIA requests
- My analysis of the interim report of the NCMNPS
- Selective Service System report to the NCMNPS: 'A modern-day draft, if marketed carefully and cleverly,...'
- History of draft registration and draft resistance since 1980
- Prosecutions of draft registration resisters
- Robert Mueller and me
- More about the draft, draft registration, and draft resistance from Resisters.info
If you can't be in Washington, DC, on April 24th or 25th, you can submit written comments through the end of 2019 using this form or by e-mail to "firstname.lastname@example.org" (mentioning "Docket No. 05-2018-01" in the subject line of your e-mail message), and sign this petition to end draft registration".
(I'm publishing this article in advance, and will update it as the witness list, transcript, and archived video of the hearing are posted.)Link | Posted by Edward on Thursday, 25 April 2019, 06:00 ( 6:00 AM) | TrackBack (0)